White Pine College: Gillies Mill and the Village of Braeside

 

"Along the steep bank, in among the wildflowers,
he found the ruins of the original saw mill. He realized
that these massive stone foundations survived the
fire at Gillies Bros. mill in 1919. As his hand touched
the stone he felt himself travel back in time…"

 

And so begins our journey through local history. In this virtual exhibit, fictional men, women and children tell their stories of working at Gillies Bros. Lumber Mill and their everyday experiences of living alongside it in the Village of Braeside.

Listen to oral history clips with former mill workers who started calling the mill “White Pine College” in the 1960’s. Several interviews with village residents are also provided throughout the exhibit. Contact the Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives for access to the full interviews.

This virtual exhibit was created by archivists Laurie Dougherty (Curator) and Emma Carey (Project Manager), and was developed with the support of the Virtual Museum of Canada's Community Stories Investment Program.